10/27/11 | 10:15:00 AM
Labels: search tips
In June, we began highlighting content creators in search results to help searchers identify high quality, authoritative content. Since then, content creators have been able to link to their content with the authorship markup to have their photos appear next to their content in search results and help readers find out more about the person behind the story. After all, if someone searches for [britney spears], they should be able to quickly and easily find not just information about Britney Spears, but also information by Britney:
Since many of you authors have your email addresses published in your content, we can use this information to link your content to your Google+ profile. Starting today you can verify your email address directly in your Google+ profile. Here’s where you add your email address in your Profile:
To get started:
- Click here to setup your Google+ profile
- Remember to upload a high quality headshot, and fill out some profile information such as hometown, etc.
- Verify your email address
- On your Google+ profile, click on the ‘Edit Profile’ button in the upper right corner
- Scroll down and click on “Work”
- Click the drop-down arrow next to “Phone”
- Click on “Email”
- Put your cursor in the box next to “Email”, and fill in your email address where it says “New contact info”. Use your email address which has the same domain as the main place you publish your work. For example, “email@example.com”.
- Change the visibility of the section from “Only you” to “Everyone on the web”
- Click on “Save”
- Click on “Done Editing”
- Scroll down and find where you added the e-mail address and then click “Verify”
Update 4/18/12: We now have a new, even simpler tool that allows you to verify your email and sign up for authorship at https://plus.google.com/authorship.